Saturday, February 6, 2010

Baby got Back

One of my least favorite clothing items to shop for is a button-down blouse. It's not that I don't like ladies' blouses; it's a matter of fit.

It's funny that I still even try these on. I'll see a nice blouse on the rack, carry it to the dressing room full of hope. But every time, the problem is the same: the back of the shirt looks absolutely ridiculous on me. The cut of these blouses makes me look like I have a constant pocket of air radiating out of my upper (and sometimes lower) back. I can almost picture the clothing company workers singing, in unison, "I like big backs and I cannot lie" as the machines churn out these shirts.

So many times I stand in the dressing room, looking at myself in the mirror from the front, feeling pretty good about the professional-looking image gleaming back at me. Then, I slowly rotate to check out the side view, and that's when blouse-backitis hits. The professional-looking woman now looks like some kind of clownish circus linebacker. It really is that goofy.

How many times do I see 'classic white blouse' listed as one of the must-have items in a woman's wardrobe? I guess I'll just keep searching...for the perfect back-of-the-blouse fit.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely share the same issue... I've had some luck with XS petite shirts from J Crew and size 0 petite shirts from Banana Republic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the same deal with me. I take shirts to the tailor to add darts in the back to make it more fitted. Then, it solves the looseness in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for that tip, stylepint! I'll definitely try that one :-)

    ReplyDelete