Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Long and Short of It




I went to see Alice in Wonderland last night (pretty good, very trippy movie). I had very vivid dreams that night, and part of it included me running around in a long dress (other parts involved a talking dog, but I digress).

This got me thinking about dress length. I typically avoid long dresses and skirts like the plague. As a petite person, I think long dresses make me look even shorter (sometimes the word 'stumpy' comes to mind) and swallow up my frame. I tried to think if I had ever worn a long dress that looked good, and i did think of two instances:

1. My senior prom dress. It was a "Laundry by Shelli Segal" dress: simple, column style, strapless, and a flattering shade of lavender.

2. The dress I wore to the Inaugural Ball last January. It was black, column style, with a unique strap that went diagonally across my chest.

But those are both formal dresses. I don't think I have ever worn a 'maxi dress' or any other longer dress or skirt in a casual setting. Do I want to? Well, I have to admit, some of them look pretty in stores and on the hangers. I haven't even tried one on though, and I think the amount of material really will just overwhelm me!


1 comment:

  1. I've seen short girls seriously rock the maxi dress. I think the trick is to wear heels underneath (makes you look longer and leaner), and get one is in a drapey fabric vs. a flowy one. Flowy ones will just poof and hide you...which makes short girls look squat. Drapey ones will huge your curves better, and give you presence. Definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete